[OS X TeX] updmap-sys won't do its thing

Kyle Johnson kbj at linguist.umass.edu
Sat Jul 3 09:04:58 EDT 2010

Quoting Michael Sharpe <msharpe at ucsd.edu>:

> On Jul 2, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Kyle Johnson wrote:
>
>> Yes, I'm stumped.
>>
>> I cannot see why my Minion Pro fonts aren't taking. Below is what I
>> get when I typeset a minimal example. The complaints at the end
>> indicate that MinionPro-Regular-Base-aa.tfm, among other things,
>> isn't found. But MinionPro-Regular-Base-aa.tfm is in
>> texmf-local/fonts/tfm/adobe/MinionPro. The MinionPro.map is enabled.
>>
>> many thanks in advance,
>> Kyle

<snip>

>> Changed files, or newly in use since previous run(s): 'foo.dvi'
>> Non-existent destination files: 'foo.ps' Rules to apply: 'dvips'
>> ------------
>> 0 Errors 0 Warnings in this run.
>>
>> ------------ ------------ Running 'dvips -P pdf -o "foo.ps"
>> "foo.dvi"' ------------
>> Latexmk: applying rule 'dvips'...
>>
>> For rule 'dvips', running '&do_viewfile( )' ... This is dvips(k)
>> 5.98 Copyright 2009 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com) ' TeX
>> output 2010.07.02:1833' -> foo.ps kpathsea: Running mktexpk
>> --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag 0+7273/(2*4000) --dpi 7273
>> MinionPro-Regular-Base-aa mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap
>> font for MinionPro-Regular-Base-aa. kpathsea: Appending font
>> creation commands to missfont.log. dvips: Font
>> MinionPro-Regular-Base-aa not found, using cmr10 instead. dvips:
>> Design size mismatch in font MinionPro-Regular-Base-aa . [1]
>> ps2pdf: Changes: Changed files, or newly in use since previous
>> run(s): 'foo.ps' Rules to apply: 'ps2pdf' ------------
>> 0 Errors 0 Warnings in this run.
>>
>> ------------ ------------ Running 'ps2pdf "foo.ps" "foo.pdf"' ------------
>> Latexmk: applying rule 'ps2pdf'...
>>

> I don't think it is telling you it can't find the tfm---the failure
> comes in trying to find a PostScript font that
> MinionPro-Regular-Base-aa will map to, and resorting to an attempt
> to make a bitmap font before substituting cmr.
>
> Check (with kpsewhich) which psfonts.map is active, and then look in
> that file for lines containing MinionPro-Regular, to see what they
> resolve to (the last entry on the line.)
>
> Michael

Thanks Michael,

Here is what I get:

Kyle-Johnsons-MacBook-Pro:usr kbj$ kpsewhich psfonts.map
/Users/kbj/.texlive2009/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
Kyle-Johnsons-MacBook-Pro:usr kbj$

I didn't know of the existence of /Users/kbj/.texlive2009 -- this is
supposed to be here? At any rate, there are no entries in this
psfonts.map for MinionPro, and so this is likely my problem. But I
don't know what to do to generate them. Why didn't updmap-sys do this?

Thanks again,
Kyle