[OS X TeX] updmap-sys won't do its thing

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jul 3 10:34:07 EDT 2010

On Jul 3, 2010, at 7:50 AM, Kyle Johnson wrote:

> Quoting Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE>:
>

>> Am 03.07.2010 um 00:40 schrieb Kyle Johnson:
>>
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mnsymbol/MnSymbol.sty
>>

>> You're using the MnSymbol package, not that of the Minion Pro font  family. Did you enable MnSymbol.map? MnSymbol is a free font extension  meant to add maths in a matching look to text set in Minion Pro. You  can check whether these MAP file fragments are enabled on the command  line with:
>>
>> 	updmap --listmaps | grep 'Map M'
>>

> I did enable MnSymbol.map. Here is what I get when I type your updmap --listmaps
>
> Kyle-Johnsons-MacBook-Pro:~ kbj$ updmap --listmaps|grep 'Map M'
> updmap: This is updmap, version $Id: updmap 14402 2009-07-23 17:09:15Z karl $
> updmap: using transcript file `/Users/kbj/.texlive2009/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.log'
> Map MorrisIn.map
> Map MnSymbol.map
>
> Here is the file I'm trying to typeset:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[mathlf,medfamily,footnotefigures]{MinionPro}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>

> \begin{document}
>
> Here is a sample. foo.
> more of a sample.
>
> \end{document}
>
> I believe MinionPro.sty calls MnSymbol.sty.
>
> To install MinionPro, I followed the recipes given at http://carlo-hamalainen.net/blog/?p=8, except that I put the MinionPro stuff in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local instead of the /User/Library... I note that these directions put the MnSymbol files in /usr/local/share, which is, therefore, what I did. The log, though, indicates that it's using MnSymbol.map in /usr/local/texlive/2009.
>
> I don't know if this is relevant.
>
> Thanks for the help. Any suggested next steps?
>
> Kyle

Howdy,

I don't know if this is what is causing the problem but at first glance it appears that you have run updmap rather than updmap-sys at some point and now you are seeing TeX pick up your private map file in ~/.texlive2009/texmf-var/. Please try to remove the .texlive2009 directory (you may have to use sudo if it is owned by root which is what would happen if you ran `sudo updmap`). This is somewhat of a guess.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)