[OS X TeX] [OT] ImageMagick, GraphicsMagick, Netpbm, Dktools

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 10:15:36 EDT 2010

While IM is the most popular graphics batch conversion suite, there are others.

GM is used by some applications and claims to be less featured but
more stable than IM.

Long ago I was able to compile Netpbm (and before this it was a
package in GW-tex), but not anymore. Yesterday I tried to compile few
versions, compilation failed on SIGRTMAX, I contacted the author,
version got updated but still compilation stumbles further on libpng
(the author believes that there is a problem with version which came
with MacOSX, but I have a self-compiled 1.4). Hopefully it will be
resolved soon.

Unfortunately, problem with Netpbm prevent compiling Dktools (may be
there are other problems). I suspect that the compilation problems
will prevent them making in TL2010/MacTeX2010

Citing CTAN Announcements  (in comp.text.tex)

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 Dirk Krause submitted the new package
   dktools
to CTAN. It supersedes the bmeps and fig2vect packages.
Summary description: Tools by DK (including bmeps and fig2vect)
License type: other-free
Announcement text:
Tools and libraries by Dirk Krause, licensed under BSD-Style
license conditions.
Among others this package contains bmeps (conversion from
PNG/JPEG/NetPBM/TIFF to EPS/PDF) and fig2vect (conversion
from FIG to MetaPost/EPS/PDF/TeX/BoundingBox).
Project page: http://dktools.sourceforge.net
Original download source:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dktools
This package is located at
    http://mirror.ctan.org/support/dktools
.  More information is at
    http://tug.ctan.org/info/?id=dktools
(if the package is new it may take a day for that information to
appear).  We are supported by the TeX Users Group http://www.tug.org .
Please join a users group; see http://www.tug.org/usergroups.html .