[OS X TeX] epstopdf glitch

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jul 12 08:15:27 EDT 2010

On Jul 12, 2010, at 1:58 AM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I just updated (via TLU) my tex-live 2010 installation, on two systems: 10.5.8 and 10.6.4.  When I do this, I run a quick check to verify that things aren't broken.  On the 10.6 system, I have run into a problem which looks like a config problem of some sort, with 'epstopdf' failing.  The same test works on 10.5 (identical .tex files).
>
> The error shows up in the TeXShop console window, but not in the .log file produced as a byproduct of compilation:
>
> (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsfonts/umsb.fd)epstopdf ($Id: ep
> stopdf.pl 18319 2010-05-17 16:34:21Z karl $) 2.16
> !!! Error: Output filename '/Users/justin/Pictures/wolf_eel_thumbnail-eps-conver
> ted-to.pdf' not allowed in restricted mode.
>
> The man page and "texdoc" don't happen to mention "restricted mode", so I'm sort of clueless (and Perl-averse).
>
> --
> Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large

Howdy,

Hmmm... just ran a test with a freshly updated TL2010 pretest via TLU and there were no problems with restricted mode (i.e., no --shell-escape needed) and converting eps->pdf.

Could you supply a minimal but compilable example that generates this error message? Also, how are you compiling the file? Do you have write permission to that directory?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)