[OS X TeX] ligatures

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Sat Jul 17 18:09:19 EDT 2010

On Sat 17th Jul, 2010 at 15:14, Herbert Schulz seems to have written:

> On Jul 17, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:
>
>> If I typeset the following:
>> ---ligature test file---
>> % !TEX TS-program = pdflatex
>> % !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
>> \listfiles
>> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>> \title{Brief Article}
>> \author{The Author}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> f{}f ff shelf{}ful f{}f ff\\
>>
>> \end{document}
>> ---end test file---
>> then I get (what is to me) unexpected output.
>>
>> Expected:
>> no-lig-ff lig-ff shel-no-lig-ff-ul no-lig-ff lig-ff
>>
>> Actual:
>> no-lig-ff lig-ff shel-lig-ff-ul no-lig-ff lig-ff
>>
>> Why does TeX ignore the instruction not to use the ff ligature in
>> 'shelful' when a line break occurs afterwards? And why does it
>> nonetheless accept the instruction if the f-no-lig-f is typeset in
>> isolation?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> cfr
>
> Howdy,
>
> Sigh... I have no idea what's going on there. I added a few lines so you can see the effect of putting in the forced new line by itself on the end.
>
> By the way, that is a bit unrealistic. There is no reason to ever end a line with \\ unless you have additional text after it to put on the next line.

Of course it is unrealistic! Who would ever want to typset "ff ff
shelfful ff ff" in any case? :)

Originally the problem occurred as part of a longer piece of text. I
may have overdone the "minimal" in finding a minimal case to isolate
the problem. Perhaps a less minimal test file would have been more
informative to post.

Thanks,
cfr