[OS X TeX] TeXShop full screen uses discrete GPU in new mbp; and a small feature request

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 05:46:28 EDT 2010

Dear all

I am a happy owner of a new MPB. I use powerdot for presentations, and TeXShop's full screen mode is very useful for checking how things will look.
For actually presenting to an audience, I prefer Skim, which works with either the Apple Remote or a bluetooth remote. As it is, TeXShop in full screen does not advance slides with either a mouse click or the right arrow key in the keyboard (only the *down* arrow). This appears quite nonstandard behavior, so I humbly suggest that both (up/down) and (left/right) should work move pages back and forth in full screen.

While the new mac is way faster than my 3 year old mbp, I noticed a distinct lag when entering TeXShop's full screen mode. It turns out that it was the discrete nvidia gpu kicking in.
Exiting fulll screen reverts to the intel gpu.
It is not a big deal, but it got me curious, since this does not seem to happen with Skim or Preview. Just wondering what kind of CoreImage or other calls are triggering it.

Regards

Luis Sequeira