[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.34

Benoit RIVET benoit.rivet at free.fr
Fri Jun 4 07:09:56 EDT 2010

Le 4 juin 2010 à 12:53, Josep Maria Font a écrit :

> El 04/06/2010, a las 11:23, Simon Spiegel escribió:
>
>> Today, most (La)TeX users use pdftex to process their files. LuaTeX is meant to replace pdftex.
>
> An end user *uses* a front end, and should not need to be aware of the existence of pdftex. I understand that LuaTeX will be the new "background engine", but users will continue to use TeXShop, TeXmaker or whatever... ?

End users are not supposed to be aware of which engine it uses. Thus, using latex, pdflatex or lualatex should make no difference for them. However, developers shall be able to bring end users more powerful packages when lualatex will be ready for production (I guess that tikz shall greatly benefit from lua; and we may also have package enabling pstricks directly in lualatex): in the end, this may be compelling enough for end users to switch to lualatex, just the way they switched form latex to pdflatex (and pdf format instead of dvi).