TAN: Archimedes Quote; was, Re: [OS X TeX] hebrew?

John McChesney-Young jmccyoung at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 13:22:03 EDT 2010

On Jun 11, 2010, at 7:30 AM, David Derbes wrote in part:
>> (I quote the version from E. J. Dijksterhuis...

And on Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Themis Matsoukas
<tmatsoukas at gmail.com> responded in part:
> Both quotes translate to the same thing and both can be found by googling...

With apologies for continuing an off-topic (but interesting!) thread,
the commonly found quote is actually from Pappus of Alexandria [[1]]
(_Collectio_ 8.10.11) and Archimedes' wording as reported by Plutarch
over 200 years earlier wasn't nearly so catchy.

Pappus's Greek is here (with Latin on the following page):

http://books.google.com/books?id=2Hq4AAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Pappi+Alexandrini+collectionis+quae+supersunt&source=bl&ots=y80OrS_gSH&sig=XxiElmk4l96KzT3jvGYxIlE6goM&hl=en&ei=L2sSTMWNGoTknQeM7MGRAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false
or

http://tinyurl.com/28cy292

Plutarch's version was:

"And yet even Archimedes, who was a kinsman and friend of King Hiero,
wrote to him that with any given force it was possible to move any
given weight; and emboldened, as we are told, by the strength of his
demonstration, he declared that, if there were another world, and he
could go to it, he could move this." (Marcellus 14:7)

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A2008.01.0050%3Achapter%3D14%3Asection%3D7

The full chapter (in English) is here:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Plut.+Marc.+14&fromdoc=Perseus%3Atext%3A2008.01.0050

The nineteenth century Teubner edition's Greek text is here in image form:

http://www.archive.org/stream/plutarchivitaepa03plutuoft#page/148/mode/1up

Of course, it's possible Plutarch tells the account more than once.

John

[[1]] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappus_of_Alexandria.

--
John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung **