[OS X TeX] Re: smultron now fraise.app, but neither working on OS X 10.6 (for me)

Nicola nvitacolonna at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 10:06:24 EDT 2010

In article <C40D66BA-5D5B-4D66-9477-28CB9F9B2F19 at frycomm.com>,
 William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com>
 wrote:

> fraise.app is available from:
>
> http://www.fraiseapp.com/
>
> but I'm not getting the multi-file find-replace in it to work. (The panel
> comes up okay, but clicking Replace when ``All Documents'' is selected
> doesn't do anything)
>
> Anyone have a suggestion on a (free) replacement? (other than textwrangler
> --- I'm just not willing to put up w/ Carbon apps).

What's wrong with TextWrangler being Carbon? It works flawlessly, even
with huge files, it is fast, flexible and feature-rich. Definitely the
best free programming text editor on the Mac.

But to answer your question: if you want to stick with free Cocoa apps,
the only editor with multi-file search support I know of (apart from
Smultron/Fraise) is, well, XCode. You may try to back install Smultron:
I don't remember any issue with search/replace functions.

If you drop “free”, maybe the most popular option is TextMate.

If you are allergic to Carbon, but not to other frameworks, I suggest
jEdit (http://www.jedit.org/): it does what you need and much more. It
is pretty good and free (but it is written in Java).

A search in web sites like VersionTracker or SoftPedia will likely give
you other options.

Nicola