[OS X TeX] Using eps files

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Mar 9 08:15:01 EST 2010

On Mar 9, 2010, at 3:16 AM, José A. Facenda Aguirre wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks for the answer.
> I have installed MacTeX 2009 in a macbook pro and an imac i5.
> I have the problem in the notebook; imac has no problem. The document contains these lines: (is latex template fron texshop)
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{amsart}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \usepackage{epstopdf}
> \DeclareGraphicsRule{.tif}{png}{.png}{`convert #1 `dirname #1`/`basename #1 .tif .png}
> \begin{document}
> \includegraphics[]{figure}
> \end{document}
> I have the file figure.eps
> The macbook pro gives the mentioned error but the imac works well. What's the problem in the notebook?
> Any help would be appreciated
> José A. Facenda

Howdy,

I have no problem compiling your document! This is with MacTEX-2009 and TeXShop 2.33. Did you check that there is a --shell-escape option set for the pdflatex engine in TeXShop->Preferences->Engine->pdfTeX->Tex & Latex: the lines should look like

pdftex --shell-escape --synctex=1 --file-line-error

and

pdflatex --shell-escape --synctex=1 --file-line-error

respectively. The --shell-escape option is needed by the epstopdf package since it must access the command line from within your pdflatex run.

One other thing, although it has nothing to do with your problem: the epstopdf package was updated for MacTeX(TeX Live)-2009 and the way your set up new conversions has changed. Instead of

> \DeclareGraphicsRule{.tif}{png}{.png}{`convert #1 `dirname #1`/`basename #1 .tif .png}

you should use

\epstopdfDeclareGraphicsRule{.tif}{png}{.png}{convert #1 \OutputFile}
\PrependGraphicsExtensions{.tif}

Note that the epstopdf package that comes with MacTeX-2009 also does a conversion figure.eps->figure-eps-converted-to.pdf rather than figure.eps->figure.pdf. It also appends. rather than prepends, the .eps extension to the list of extensions to look for. That means that if it finds a figure.pdf it will use it even if you want it ti use figure.eps. You can get back original behavior by creating a file named epstopdf-sys.cfg that contains the lines

% to get old behavior foo.eps->foo.pdf as well as update,prepend
\epstopdfsetup{program at epstopdf=epstopdf,verbose,update,prepend,prefersuffix=false,suffix=}
% tif->png
\epstopdfDeclareGraphicsRule{.tif}{png}{.png}{convert #1 \OutputFile}
\PrependGraphicsExtensions{.tif}

and place it in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/config/ (create necessary nested folders as needed and ~ is your HOME directory). With the file above the ability to convert tif->png will be loaded automatically too so you won't need it in your source file.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)