[OS X TeX] General Font Question

Richard J Benish rjbenish at teleport.com
Sat Mar 13 03:11:51 EST 2010

Hey,

Being a "naive" and occasional user of LaTex, and seeing how often
font problems arise on this mailing list, I have a question about why
fonts should be such a problem.

The question also stems from my background in graphic arts, whose
application programs such as Illustrator, FreeHand, Photoshop, etc.,
make having many fonts available at all times (if desired) extremely
easy.

So why can't LaTex work with the same ease? Why can't fonts that are
readily available for graphics applications (and even word
processors, etc.) be made readily available in LaTex? I'd guess LaTex
would have many more users if font loading were not so daunting. I've
never even tried loading a new font for LaTex because I don't
understand how, and the many challenging experiences communicated on
this list are a big disincentive to bother.

But I like having lots of fonts available, so I ask.

Thanks for any comments.

Richard Benish