[OS X TeX] latex and xelatex

R. Vijay Krishna rvk at email.unc.edu
Tue Mar 16 14:59:14 EDT 2010

On Mar 16, 2010, at 1:42 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> In practice, then, a xetex document created on on system will not necessarily be portable to another system; in regular latex this is rarely a problem.  (Although perhaps only due to the fact that adding new fonts to a TeX distribution is such a PITA that most people just put up with the few that are available.)
>
> For this reason, I haven't made a full switch to xetex, although I use it for certain things where I want a more interesting font selection. (And distributing source is not a problem.)
>
> Alan

Have you tried the package ``ifxetex''?  It solves all my portability problems.  Simple usage below.

Vijay

%%%%%
\usepackage{ifxetex}
\ifxetex
 \usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
 \usepackage{xunicode}
 \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text,Scale=MatchLowercase}

 \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text,Numbers=OldStyle]{Baskerville}
 \setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Monaco}
 \setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Gill Sans}
 \setmathrm{Adobe Garamond Pro}

%%%%
\else

 \usepackage{times}