[OS X TeX] epic, dvi, and pdf

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Mar 20 14:21:15 EDT 2010

On Mar 20, 2010, at 12:21 PM, Wayne Richter wrote:

> sorry if this has been discussed before.
>
> here is a close to minimal example.
> When I typeset the following:
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \usepackage{amssymb,latexsym}
> \usepackage{epic,eepic}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{picture}(100,100)
> \put(0,10){\line(1,0){115}}
> \put(0,10){\line(0,1){80}}
> \put(0,90){\line(1,0){194}}
> \put(114,10){\line(1,1){80}}
> \end{picture}
> \end{document}
>
> using the TeX+DVI option it comes out fine (a nice trapezoid).
> But when I tex it using the Pdftex option, the pdf file does not show
> the last line (of slope 1).
>
> Why? Or, more precisely, does this mean I should be using the TeX+DVI
> option when I am doing this kind of graphics?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wayne

Howdy,

Chances are that eepic uses eps commands to create the lines of arbitrary slope which are not supported by pdflatex.

This is similar to the problem of using pstricks under pdflatex: all methods that allow you to include pstricks in pdflatex documents (e.g., the pdftricks and pst-pdf packages), in fact, will create a separate file (or files) and use latex, etc., to compile those files into cropped pdf files which are then included into the original document.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)