[OS X TeX] Some ideas LaTeX on iPad, iPhone, etc.

Josep Maria Font jmfont at ub.edu
Tue Mar 23 05:48:15 EDT 2010

El 23/03/2010, a les 00:39, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno va escriure:

> I use DropBox <http://www.dropbox.com> to back up my files,
> synchronize
> projects between my computers and collaborate. One can even access
> one's
> files on the iPhone (and logic dictates that the iPad should also
> have that
> capability). Now, it occurs to me that if one could write a Folder
> Action or
> a shell script controlled by launchd that calls LaTeX every time tex
> file
> changes in a folder watched by DropBox then if one makes a change in
> said
> tex file somewhere else, then shortly one should be able to see the
> resulting pdf.

I don't know how DropBox really works, but I have a question: You
assume the changed .tex file will be processed by your "home"
computer. I suppose this is not possible if the machine is in sleep
mode. I also suppose the "watching folders" activity of DropBox and
your suggested Folder Action both need the machine not to be in sleep
mode either. (If the assumptions are wrong, I will be delgihted to
know). Now, the question is, can one awake the computer when receiving
"calls" from the DropBox server ? And, for laptops, is this possible
when they are sleeping and closed (which is how they would probably be
when you travel and carry only the iPhone or iPad around) ?

The idea is great, anyway!

JMaF