[OS X TeX] Re: Some beginner questions

Tim Lahey tim.lahey at gmail.com
Sun May 9 15:06:38 EDT 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 18:49:21 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "C.H.E." <eliot001 at umn.edu>
> Subject: [OS X TeX] Re: Some beginner questions
> To: macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
>

> Ferguson, Don wrote:
>> Vector Drawings
>> ===============
>> I've been reading Oetiker's manual on LaTeX2e and somewhat overpowered by
>> his discussion of "Producing Mathematical Graphics". I don't know Mac
>> software yet. Is there not some vector drawing program that could be used
>> on the iMac and the resulting drawings saved as EPS or PostScript or ....?
>> If there is, I'd appreciate a hint. Need to be able to create simple,
>> coloured drawings to augment my work.
>
> VectorDesigner works beautifully for this, as it exports both PDF and EPS of
> whole documents, or just selections from them. But it costs a little bit of
> money, maybe around 70 USD.

I highly recommend VectorDesigner. OmniGraffle is a good choice as well. I
recommend avoiding Lineform. While I think it used to be a great
program, it isn't
really being maintained and I've had a lot of problems with it on the
newer OS versions.
I recently tried to just open an old Lineform document and export it
to PDF and it
crashed every time on the PDF export.

Many people like Intaglio, but I haven't used it.

There's a really nice comparison of the major Mac drawing apps (aside
from Illustrator)
at

http://jonwhipple.com/blog/2008/05/25/drawing-conclusions/

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey