[OS X TeX] Shallow table of contents

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Tue May 18 07:10:16 EDT 2010

On May 17, 2010, at 9:05 PM, Ferguson, Don wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> I am using \documentclass{amsbook} and within it want a table of
> contents. The current setup includes:
>
> A table of contents is produced but it only includes entries for
> 'chapter' and 'sections'. Would like entries for 'subsections' and
> 'subsubsections' as well. Since I have read documents which do have
> the "deeper" table of contents, there must be some way to so specify.
>
> So far any docs I've read say nothing about how to include
> 'subsections' and 'subsubsections'. Where should I be looking and
> how is it done?

The amsbook class is designed to meet the requirements of the AMS, and
isn't designed to be customised.  I would recommend that you use a
more general book class such as memoir for your project.

That being said, you could add the following to your document preamble

\setcounter{tocdepth}{4} %
\makeatletter
\expandafter\def\csname r at tocindent4\endcsname{0pt}
\makeatother

Solution due to Ulrike Fischer here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/21cebbb34004c5ad?

But the next thing you want to change won't be so simple, so I really
would suggest using memoir.

Alan

--
Alan Munn