[OS X TeX] LaTeX on the iPad using TeXShop Engines

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu May 20 12:03:43 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>> POTUS does not approve iPods and iPads, Xboxes and Playstations - only
>> some kind of berries are allowed :-)
>>

>> http://gizmodo.com/5534659/obama-ipods-ipads-xboxes-and-playstations-turn-information-into-distraction
>
> Howdy,
>
> He may have a good point.
>
> This goes back many years (it shows how old I am!) but I had a discussion with a colleague when pocket calculators first came out (LED display and all----I wished I could afford an HP-48 but my colleague and I put our money together and shared a TI SL-10) about their use in Elementary and High Schools. He claimed that it will make learning math much easier while I believed that it would be used as a substitute for knowledge and understanding and hamper the learning of math. I'll leave it up to you folks to decide for yourself which one of us was correct.
>
> I also remember the headaches I got when first surfing the WEB following interesting links until I had no idea how I got where I was and never did find the information that originally started the search.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

In many Canada schools calculators became a menace. However there is a
legitimate use for them. There is legitimate use for iPads and iPods
even apart of entertainment.

On the other hand I believe that blackberry develops just one skill -
to push small buttons with a maddening speed far exceeding ability to
think.

Victor