[OS X TeX] TeXShop and Spaces

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Thu May 20 15:18:42 EDT 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 08:15 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On May 20, 2010, at 9:40 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:
[snip]
>> Would be it possible for TeXShop to have a preference "Always open
>> preview and log windows in the same Space" - or is it coltrolled only
>> by OSX?
[snip]
> I guess I'm interested in knowing if opening TeXShop (or any other
> app) in more than one space actually produces separate instances or
> really a single shared instance of the application. What happens in
> other Spaces if you change a preference in one Space?

Spaces is just a display mechanism.  Only one instance of a GUI app
runs at a time.

> I'd guess it is completely under the control of the OS; but I'm just
> guessing here and other, in the know, will answer better.

I can't tell for sure where control lies for this (and I don't know
the APIs at all).  However, if you drag all the windows associated
with a .tex file to a different Space, the preview and log windows
will remain where the .tex window is.  If you close one, and it comes
to the fore, the view snaps back to TeXShop's Space.

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large