[OS X TeX] texshop and preview

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu May 20 21:43:51 EDT 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 3:01 PM, Margarida Mello wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am reviving this link (started in October 2009) in the hopes that the situation is different now. Can one set up TeXShop to use Adobe's Acrobat viewer? The reason I'm interested is that the preview is giving me incorrect visualizations in a class of pictures I'm producing. For instance, the code
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{tikz}
> \usepackage[papersize={51pt,51pt},margin=.5pt,centering]{geometry}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \parindent 0pt
>
> \begin{tikzpicture}
> \draw[line width=.5pt] (0,0) circle (24.75pt);
>  \draw (0,0) node{24.75pt};
> \end{tikzpicture}
>
> \end{document}
>
> should (and does) produce a circle centered in (but not touching the sides of) a square. The preview in TeXShop (and in Apple's native application, which is no surprise, given that, as Herb explained in this list, it uses the same PDFkit framework) shows a circle chopped off at the top.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Margarida-

Howdy,

While it looks like it's chopped off at the top in TeXShop/Preview at first glance when I use the magnifying glass on the circle I see that it, in fact, has equal spacing to the document edge in TeXShop's preview. I don't know why the top (and right side) appear cut off in Apple's Preview.

As far as I know TeXshop can be used with external editors but not with with external viewers. The easiest thing to do would be to write an Applescript Macro that would open the generated pdf file in Adobe Acrobat or Reader. You can then assign a keyboard shortcut to the macro to make it easy to execute.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)