[OS X TeX] TeXShop Oddity with Engines

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon May 24 09:26:10 EDT 2010

On May 24, 2010, at 1:36 AM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> When I install a new engine in "~/Library/Engines", say "newengine.engine",
> then documents that are already open in TeXShop do not recognize it, i.e.,
> they will ignore the "% !TEX TS-program = newengine" directive and use the
> default engine. However, documents that are opened after the engine is
> installed do recognize it and will use it, no quitting required.
>
> If it is a bug it is not a big one, but it perplexed me for a few minutes
> today :)
>
> Ramón

Howdy,

I typically restart TeXShop if I change whatever is in the Engines folder.

It appears that TeXShop scams the Engines folder to create the list for the popup menu once, when the Source Window opens, and each instance of a Source Window maintains its list.

I wouldn't call it a bug... more like a feature. :-)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)