[OS X TeX] Re: Are Poisoned PDFs a concern with TeXShop or Skim?

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mon May 24 17:48:32 EDT 2010

Hi Ramón,

On 25/05/2010, at 6:32 AM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:

> Aloha Ross,
>
> I guess my question would be are PDFkit based applications
> vulnerable to
> these attacks? As long as I use Skim or TeXShop should I worry?
> Should Skim
> and TeXShop have settings disallowing the execution of code (if
> they are
> capable)?

I don't think they can run code at all.

At least that is how it used to be; some PDFs that we produce
for student quizzes have never worked with Apple's Preview.
The embedded Javascript would not run.
Perhaps this has changed in recent years?  I've not tested.

Also, the existence of a hidden button would screen a hyperlink
beneath, even when the button had the option checked to pass
events through. It is as if Apple deliberately chose not to support
PDF forms.

If this has changed then I'd really like to know the details.

> Now, to more important and vital matters:
>
> touchwood=knock on wood (in the U.S.)=toco madera (in Spanish)?

Yes, it seems to be used the same way.
viz.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocking_on_wood

I'm using it to mean, sort of:

  "I think what I just said is true, but cannot really claim
   to know for sure -- so be warned!"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=touchwood

> Just getting my idioms straight :)
>
> Mahalo,