[OS X TeX] collecting solutions to practice problems

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Tue May 25 18:14:19 EDT 2010

Hi all.

I'm part of a team that's writing a textbook.  Each chapter of the book
is in a separate LaTeX file (such as "01-intro.tex").  Each chapter has
practice problems and exercises.  Exercises appear at the end of each
chapter.  Using the answers package, I have set things up so that we can
write

  \begin{exercises}

  \begin{ex}
    The exercise.
    \begin{soln}
       Its solution.
    \end{soln}
  \end{ex}

  \begin{ex}
    Stuff that applies to multi-item exercise.
    \begin{problist}
    \item First item.
    \item Second item.
    \end{problist}
    \begin{soln}
      \begin{solnlist}
      \item Solution to first item.
      \item Solution to second item.
      \end{solnlist}
    \end{soln}
  \end{ex}

  \end{exercises}

All very neat and tidy.

I'm now trying to deal with practice problems.  A practice problem can
appear anywhere in the text.  However, solutions to practice problems
should appear at the end of the chapter, just before the exercises.

A practice problem should appear in the LaTeX file as:

  \begin{prac}
     Text of the practice problem.
     \begin{soln}
        Its solution.
     \end{soln}
  \end{prac}

For a multi-item practice problem, this should be

  \begin{prac}
    Stuff that applies to multi-item exercise.
    \begin{praclist}
    \item First item.
    \item Second item.
    \end{praclist}
    \begin{soln}
      \begin{solnlist}
      \item Solution to first item.
      \item Solution to second item.
      \end{solnlist}
    \end{soln}
  \end{prac}

Before playing around with this myself, I thought I would see whether
anybody else had solved the problem (or knows of a quick solution).

Any ideas?  Thanks!
--
Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?