[OS X TeX] Which one is forbidden : or /? Subtleties of dealing with file names in TeXShop Macros

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Mon May 31 14:32:19 EDT 2010

On Mon 31st May, 2010 at 11:00, Peter Dyballa seems to have written:

> Am 31.05.2010 um 09:47 schrieb Ramón Figueroa-Centeno:
>
>> Which one is forbidden : or /?
>

> Both. The former is used as path separator in classic Mac OS, the latter does
> the same for recent Mac OS X.
>

> BTW, I save from time to time via the print service web sites or rather just
> pages as PDF. The title of such a page can contain slashes or colons. This
> title is gladly used to build the file name. While the colon is not
> substituted, slashes are turned into underscores... Magic!

There's also a command line utility called detox which can be used to
"detoxify" filenames and is configurable. Every file I download or save
off the web or from email is detoxified in this way - either by Firefox
on download or, in other cases, by a launch agent set up with a watch
folder. Either way, detox detoxifies the name, clamav scans the file
and the script moves the download to an incoming folder. Launch agents
are neat inventions for clean-up!

- cfr