[OS X TeX] Accented characters in Xe(La)TeX

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Mon May 31 19:11:07 EDT 2010

On Tue 1st Jun, 2010 at 00:24, Peter Dyballa seems to have written:

> Am 31.05.2010 um 23:20 schrieb cfrees at imapmail.org:
>
>> Ah. It won't be from Mathematica - must be something else. (I thought I
>> got all the non-OS, non-TL fonts out of /Library/Fonts. Sigh. I did
>> have a list at one point...)
>
> You prefer the command line, so look up with lsbom which fonts came with
> Tiger!

Good point. I think what I actually had was a list of Apple-supplied
fonts in Tiger with information about which were critical to the system
and which could be safely disabled. But I'm not sure what I did with it
now...

>>> Then it could be an OS/XeTeX issue. XeTeX seems to become Tiger (and maybe
>>> Leopard as well) incompatible since Apple has dropped AAT and ATSUI in
>>> Snow Leopard. Therefore, if you want to use XeTeX more, you should update.
>>
>> Not an option - Snow Leopard won't run on PPC.
>
> Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) does (the 10.5.4 DVD is quite reasonably priced, then
> update to 10.5.8). My PowerBook G4 is the living proof. (You also get Time
> Machine for quite CPU cycles and time consuming backups. But not the
> necessary external 1 TB disk.)

I know. Still somewhat expensive but mainly what I've heard suggests
that Tiger likely runs better on PPC than Leopard. (You presumably
would know this, however.)

Also, there are definitely things I would not like about Leopard and
given that Snow Leopard seems to include a lot of bug fixes for Leopard,
it would annoy me to shell out for Leopard. Plus I'd be buying something
- and putting in the time and effort needed to install, customise and
learn it - for hardware which presumably has limited time left to it in
this world (being somewhat beyond the 3 year laptop lifespan already).
Finally, updating to Leopard would require updating Acrobat and I'm
unwilling to pay Adobe more money at this point, especially in the light
of the hardware lifespan considerations just mentioned.

If I had any intention of using XeTeX seriously, it might be different.
But pdfLaTeX works very nicely!

- cfr