[OS X TeX] Re: TeXShop Feature Request

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon May 31 21:17:18 EDT 2010

On May 31, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Ferguson, Don wrote:

> Greetings  "Herbert Schulz" <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
> On 31/05/2010 at 12:41 you wrote concerning
> Re: [OS X TeX] Re: TeXShop Feature Request
>
> Hello Herb,
>
> HS> On May 31, 2010, at 6:01 AM, Luis Sequeira wrote:
>

> HS>> Nowadays I find it hard to justify not installing the full thing (either being MacTex, or TeX Live, or MikTex). It just saves headaches later, beginners or otherwise.
>

> HS> Howdy,
>
> HS> I agree that it saves all sorts of problems but take pity on the folks who have to pay by the MB for downloaded data. I don't know how widespread that is any more.
>

> What about those that are still on dial-up modems? My internet connection is "slow" according to my ISP and it took about 3'15" to download MacTeX. My friend's iMac is on a "fast" connection, and it took him about 1'30" for the download. Hate to think what it would be like on a dial-up.
>
> However, I do agree with Luis about the "full" download. I was really impressed with the magic relating to TeXShop and TeX! On the other hand, if BasicTeX is part of the next release, then surely it can be set up so that it is "standalone"; i.e., no additional packages, updates, .... needed to get going. Perhaps the existing release is standalone and only my ignorance cause the non-functioning.
>

> Cheers  Don (Green Dragon)

Howdy,

Depends upon what you mean by stand-alone. BasicTeX is certainly a functional system and can compile files for submission to AMS journals, etc. But it is still very basic by many of our standards; missing many fonts and packages we may tend to use on a daily basis. Unfortunately our personal needs are so varied that there can't be a BasicTeX that will make many of us happy. It's an unsolvable problem.

BasicTeX is a presently a separate system that includes a very basic package that can use pdf(la)tex, etc., and no GUI applications which can be obtained elsewhere. See <http://www.tug.org/mactex/2009/morepackages.html> for more information and the attached file for details information on how it is constructed.