[OS X TeX] gwTex vs MacTex 2010

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Wed Nov 17 19:45:02 EST 2010

Hello Dick,

On 2010-14Nov-, at 1:00 PM, Richard Koch wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Gerben Wierda, who wrote gwTeX, actually took care of this problem shortly
> before ending support. Read
>
> 	http://www.tug.org/mactex/multipletexdistributions.html
>
> In short there is no need to remove gwTeX.
>
> Dick Koch
<<snip>>

Thanks for the URL above. I read it because recently, maybe three days ago, I downloaded MacTeX-2010 and all reports indicated that there were no problems with the installation.

I had expected that it would be possible to 'add' another icon to the dock which would represent TeXShop 2010. But nothing changed and I have been wondering whether I'm using the MacTeX-2009 or MacTeX-2010 guy. On noticing that the version of TeXShop was 2.37 whereas previously the version had been  2.33, I concluded that I must be using MacTeX-2010.

After reading the reference, a check into «Apple -> System Preferences...», the «TeX Distribution» pane shows that «TeXLive-2010-64» is active. I'm wondering about:

(1) Should TexLive-2010 be the active choice? I'm on an iMac with OS X 10.6.4.

(2) If for some reason --- cannot think of one at the moment --- I want to return and use TeXShop for the 2009 distribution, then I would choose the «TeXLive-2009» option! Correct? If I've read the "Multiple TeX Distributions" page correctly, then the answer to my question should be 'Yes'.

By the way, I want to thank and praise the many persons that put these distributions together and all the splendid support that it offered. Here, everything works flawlessly. Well, not quite ..... the local user is a bit of a weak link in the chain.  ;-)

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca