[OS X TeX] Who is using biblatex?

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Mon Nov 29 21:14:30 EST 2010

On 30/11/2010, at 3:04 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Alan T Litchfield wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Been looking this morning at switching over to biblatex in order to
>> remedy an apparent problem I have with some reference types and
>> apacite. I have made an engine for TeXShop to run bibtex8, that's
>> all good.
>
> Howdy,
>
> Don't know if you did this but since bibtex8 runs lust like bibtex
> (i.e., same sort of log output) it is possible to create a
> pdflatex8mk engine and corresponding configuration file. Attached is
> a folder with two file. Place the pdflatex8mkrc file in the ~/
> Library/TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk/ folder (~/Library/ is the Library
> folder in your HOME folder) and place the pdflatex8mkrc file in the
> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ folder. Then place the line
>
> % !TEX TS-program = pdflatex8mk
>
> at the top of your source file. From then on simply typeset using
> Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) and everything that needs to be done will
> get done.
>
> (By the way, for those that are curious, this doesn't work for biber
> because it's log file is very different that the one for bibtex(8).)
>
> <pdflatex8mk.zip>

Thanks Herb. I will give that a go but up till now I have had no luck
with getting an engine to work right. Something I have done wrong so
I'll how yours works.

>> I don't use a bib database like BibDesk. I just use TeXshop as a
>> text editor to maintain the bib file and link citations.
>>

> Is there a reason you don't use BibDesk? It uses the standard .bib
> format files and makes it easy to create and edit your .bib file.
> Open your .bib file with BibDesk and try it out. If you're worried
> save a copy of the original .bib file but I don't think there is any
> need to worry.

No reason really except I prefer to work in as few apps as possible. I
have no problem with working with a text editor to find what I am
looking for and I keep the contents of my bib file listed by author
name then date. It is sectioned alphabetically. BibDesk just doesn't
really do it for me, and yes I have tried it. I went back to the text
editor. I already know most of the field structures and names so it
would not add anything to how I work.

Cheers
Alan