[OS X TeX] Who is using biblatex?

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon Nov 29 21:46:46 EST 2010

On Nov 24, 2010, at 4:40 PM, Alan T Litchfield wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Been looking this morning at switching over to biblatex in order to
> remedy an apparent problem I have with some reference types and
> apacite. I have made an engine for TeXShop to run bibtex8, that's
> all good.
>
> Essentially I have been looking at what might be required for a
> switch to APA 6th from 5th. the biblatex bib file is a very
> different looking beast to a bibtex bib file and mine is about 176kb
> (a lot of references to convert).
>
> From what I have seen biblatex seems to have got some good press and
> application appears to be quite logical. There is also the nice
> looking biblatex-apa.
>
> Is there anyone on the list that is currently using this (biblatex
> or biblatex-apa)? Apart from the major changes to structure (and I
> am afraid I am very comfortable with bibtex field structures), are
> there any issues you found?
>
> I don't use a bib database like BibDesk. I just use TeXshop as a
> text editor to maintain the bib file and link citations.

Hi, I've been gradually moving to biblatex over the past couple of
years.  I haven't found any direct incompatibilities with bib files,
but my needs are pretty pedestrian, so maybe there are weird reference
types that I'm unaware of.  Biblatex does add a bunch of fields, but
the standard ones are all there, so I think you only need to add new
field types on an as-needed basis.

Have you tried taking an existing document and just using biblatex-apa
to do the references?

Alan

--
Alan Munn