[OS X TeX] Re: Announce: TeXShop Tips & Tricks.

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Oct 13 07:14:04 EDT 2010

On Oct 13, 2010, at 4:19 AM, Rob Rye wrote:

> Herb,
>
> I was excited to read your TeXShop Tips and Tricks and have learned a fair bit. It had never occurred to me to use emacs-like key bindings in TeXShop. I have just started to do so because of your document and have also made use of your handy example DefaultKeyBinding.dict file.
>
> Now, I am wondering what, if anything, you (or anyone else) use(s) for the META key, if you want to use some of the emacs commands that use META but that would overlap with existing bindings if bound to the option key. I use the option key for META in emacs on the Terminal and it looks like it is used for some things already in NSTextView, but other commands would conflict with some existing Mac keybindings (e.g. the transpose words command M-t). Then again, I don't use those existing Mac keybindings (option-t generates a dagger symbol), so I probably wouldn't really lose anything there. I know that some people use ESC for META, but I am too accustomed to using that for autocompletion in TeXShop to give it up.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,

Howdy,

There are quite a few emacs-like keybindings already there; e.g., Ctl-T, Ctl-A, Ctl-E and Ctl-K plust others. The document that came with the sample DefaultKeyBinding.dict tells what I used. I use Opt for the Meta key. E.g. Ctl-V is already bound to Screen Page Down (where the cursor moves and centers) so that DefaultKeyBindings.dict contains Opt-V (Opt acting as Meta here) for the corresponding Screen Page Up. You can get the original binding by pressing Ctl-Q (Quote) and then Opt-V to get `√' on the US keyboard bindings. There is no reason to bind to the emacs keys either; I use Ctl-U, Shft-Ctl-U and Opt-Ctl-U to bind to Capitalize, UPPERCASE and lowercase since they felt more natural to me. (Now that TeXShop has the Edit->Transformations Menu there really is no need for those bindings but I still use them out of habit.) Please read the documentation that came with the files and also go to the web site with the supplied .webloc file to really get the scoop on things.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)