[OS X TeX] Re: superscript completion

Cleo so.net at live.com
Fri Oct 22 10:06:23 EDT 2010

Herbert Schulz <herbs at ...> writes:

> On Oct 22, 2010, at 4:46 AM, Cleo wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I´m using TexShop and TL2009. When I want to write an expression like x^{y} I
> > just write x^ and press the spacebar. However, instead of Texshop complete as
> > x^{}, it complete as x^^{}, i.e., putting two ^^ before the brackets.
> >
> > How can I configure it to obtain the completion as x^{}?
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Cleo
>
> Howdy,
>
> Are you using the Spanish localized keyboard? Also, what ``completion'' are
you talking about; Auto
> Completion (which is really a keybinding) or Command Completion (there you
press the Esc [or possibly the
> Tab] key)? I guess I don't understand what is happening here and why the space
bar is being pressed but I do
> seem to remember a problem there.
>
> If it's Auto Completion you can edit the
~/Library/TeXShop/Keyboard/autocompletion.plist (you MUST
> open it with UTF-8 Unicode encoding) by changing the lines
>
> 	<key>^</key>
> 	<string>^{#SEL##INS#}</string>

> 	<key>^</key>
> 	<string>{#SEL##INS#}</string>
>
> (notice the lack of `^' in the second line).
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Thank you Herbert

I´m using a portuguese keyboard.

As you told me, I have edited the autocompletion.plist file and that solved my
problem.

Here is a portion of my autocompletion.plist

	<key>^</key>
	<string>{#SEL##INS#}</string>
	<key>_</key>
	<string>_{#SEL##INS#}</string>

However, just another thing.

When I press, for instance c_ the texshop automatically put brackets, which
results in  c_{} with the prompt inside the brackets. That´s what I expect to
happen when I tip c^.

Now, when I tip c^ TexShop does not put automatically the brackets, but I have
to press spacebar, or esc to brackets appear. If I tip a c^  and a letter say x,
it do c^{x}.

It is not a problem for me, since the "problem" I had was solved. However, I
would like to understand why the same structure produce different results.
        <key>^</key>
	<string>{#SEL##INS#}</string>
	<key>_</key>
	<string>_{#SEL##INS#}</string>