[OS X TeX] using \cleardoublepage

Don Green Dragon fergdc at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 27 19:14:02 EDT 2010

Hi Axel,

Thanks for replying.

> On  23 Oct, 2010, at 15:45, Don Green Dragon wrote:
>
>> Is there a 'standard' directory where I could have put this file so that TeXshop would have found it?
>
> Technically, TeXShop doesn't find any package (*.sty file), but rather the TeX engine (tex, pdftex, xetex, luatex) ---or, more strictly speaking, I think that's the job of the Kpathsea collection of tools.

I stand corrected! Are you implying that the information appearing on the Console is directly from the TeX engine, and not some intermediary like LaTeX? You've made it clear that TeXShop is not the source of the reply.

> TeXShop is a front-end to TeX. There are other front-ends, and you can even use your Terminal.

OK.

> There are two directories where you can add your personal .sty files:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex
>
> or
>
> ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex (where ~/Library is your personal Library, inside your Home).
>
> If you use the former, you have to run `` sudo texhash '' in your Terminal; if you use the latter, you don't have to do anything else ---TeX will find it.

Ah! Very good. Since ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex did not exist, I created it and then placed the relevant .sty file there. Having done that, then, on hiding the 'local' version, I found that typesetting --- with the command \usepackage{cleardoublepage} active --- resulted in the behaviour I expected.

After reading your reference below, I moved the .sty file from

	~/Library/texmf/tex/latex into ~/Library/texmf/tex

and a following typeset was successful. So I guess that TeX is the one looking for the .sty file. I moved it back into ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex since TeX will find it in either location --- apparently. Neat!

> If you're using MacTeX 2010 distribution, see
>
> /Applications/TeX/What Is Installed.pdf, page 2.

I'm still at MacTeX 2009, with plenty to learn, however, I did check the above for 2009 and read the relevant material. Thanks for the reference, I never would have thought to look there.

> As Ross said, you better use the commands \clearpage or \cleardoublepage; see, for example,
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/doc/latex/lshort-english/lshort.pdf (p. 48)

I tried to find the corresponding file for 2009, but it appears not to exist, so I'll have to wait. Thanks again for your help.

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca