[OS X TeX] counting words in 2010

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Oct 31 20:02:54 EDT 2010

Am 31.10.2010 um 23:55 schrieb Michael Sharpe:

> This does of course give an incorrect count because words were run
> together in LaTeX mode that were not run together in plain tex mode.
> I would consider thia a bug in detex. (I'm using the x86-64 version
> that came with TeXLive 2010, but I get exactly the same result with
> detex from the 2008 distribution.)

I can confirm that detex from the test or pre-test versions of TL '10
and '11 shows the faulty behaviour you describe and Clea first found.
I cannot confirm the behaviour in TL '08, for me it's correct. I have
PPC hardware and PPC binaries, except for TL '10 pre, which are UB.

The same faulty behaviour appears when using -w (or -wt) and -wl: In
the LaTeX case the footnote text is removed. (BTW, after the comma and
before \\emph I had inserted a TAB. In your output Michael, you can
see the SPACE character which is substituted for the footnote text,
see later.)

The problem is also with the test file for detex:

	\documentclass{article}
	\begin{document}

	This is the first paragraph.

	\section{First Section}

	Preamble of Sect.~1.

	\subsection{A Subsection}

	Here some text, an inline formula $(a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2$, as well
	as a displayed equation
	%
	\begin{equation}
	e^{\pm ix}=\cos x \pm i \sin x\;,
	\end{equation}
	%
	and some more text.

	Now some verbatim text \verb|a b c|.  That's all, folks.

	\end{document}

There is no \footnote{} in it...

There is also another bug in detex, I think. I looked into the (F)LEX
output, which has:

	<Normal>"\\part"{Z}				;
	<Normal>"\\section"{Z}				;
	<Normal>"\\subsection"{Z}			;
	<Normal>"\\subsubsection"{Z}			;
	<Normal>"\\paragraph"{Z}			;
	<Normal>"\\sunparagraph"{Z}			;

Well, I *can* understand why in November one thinks of the sun – but
it's wrong! Later this line comes:

	<Normal>"\\footnote"				{KILLARGS(1); SPACE;}

Here we have it: a footnote is not assumed to be counted...

Other bugs, a "d" too much in "and":

	ErrorExit("-e option requires and argument");

and too obvious:

	    ErrorExit("The environtment list contains too many environments");

At daylight I'll send a message to the TeX Live list, I won't mention
the footnote problem. Clea, are you going to send a message yourself?

--
Greetings

   Pete

November, n.:
	The eleventh twelfth of a weariness.
		– Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"