[OS X TeX] texmf-structure in ~/Library

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 4 08:56:37 EDT 2010

On Sep 4, 2010, at 4:05 AM, Ulrich Groh wrote:

> What is the correct structure of the texmf-subdirectory? Is there a "Users Guide" available? The problem cam up as I tried to install some fonts. I put the tfm-files and the mf-files into texmf/fonts/foo (for the tfm files) and texmf/source/fonts/foo (for the mf-files). But running pdflatex out of texshop the program failed to find the files. If I install everything in the subdirectory where the source tex-file is located, everything went well.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ulrich

Howdy,

Assuming you are using a TeX Live based distribution (e.g., MacTeX) the easiest way to see the structure is to examine the structure of the texmf-dist tree. You can get to the root of that tree, again assuming MacTeX-2009 for now, by Go->Go to Folder… (Shift-Cmd-G) in Finder and entering /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/ and then start clicking away. Since you are interested in fonts click on the fonts folder to see a series of sub-folders and I'd put the proper items into `foo' sub-folders of those folders (e.g., ~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/foo/ for the tfm files and ~/Library/texmf/fonts/source/foo/ for the mf files, etc. For the support files [.fd, .sty] I'd put them into ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/foo/).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)