[OS X TeX] Installing Add-On Package for CV

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Wed Sep 8 23:26:08 EDT 2010

On Sep 8, 2010, at 10:27 PM, KHALID NADIRI wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Complete newbie here.  I am an OS X 10.6.4 user and have downloaded
> and installed MacTex, including both TexShop and Tex Live Utility
> (among other applications).  I am trying to create a CV using Tex,
> and would like it to use one of the templates available on the web.
> Many of these templates (e.g., see the templates located here: http://rpi.edu/dept/arc/training/latex/resumes/)
>  require an add-on package named 'res.cls' , which I've been able to
> locate on www.ctan.org.  Can anyone walk me specifically through
> each step that I need to successfully install this package, keeping
> in mind that I am both new to Tex and to coding in general?

I'll give you two answers to your question.  The first is that the
res.cls is very old, and there are probably other CV type classes
available already in TeXLive that might meet your needs.  Some that I
know of are currvita, curve, and moderncv.  These are already on your
system.  Given the age of res.cls, you may find it doesn't play well
with other more modern packages (although it may).

The second answer, if you want to try res.cls, is that any local files
go into the ~/Library/texmf folder.  (From the Finder, click on your
Home directory, then open the Library folder.) Minimally this folder
should have the following structure (where indenting shows folders
within folders.)

texmf
	tex
		latex