[OS X TeX] converting to eps using /usr/local/bin/convert (slightly OT)

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 16 14:07:19 EDT 2010

On Sep 16, 2010, at 10:02 AM, Luis Sequeira wrote:

> For years, I have used the convert program from ImageMagick (as installed by mactex - I haven't installed ImageMagick by itself since the venerand i-installer became unsupported).
> The most common use is to create eps versions of graphic files, to be included in LaTeX documents - such as powerdot presentations or other documents that also include pstricks code - processed using dvi+ghostscript.

Another problem with convert is that everything is rasterized, including font outlines. I find the quality of conversion from pdf to eps is better using the Xpdf program pdftops with the -eps option. There is a binary distribution of the xpdf tools for Mac os x available at

http://users.phg-online.de/tk/MOSXS/

Michael