[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 35, Issue 28

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Thu Sep 30 15:39:06 EDT 2010

Bonjour et merci Jean-Claude,

> [...]
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage[full]{textcomp}
>> \usepackage{txfonts}
>> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>>
>> \usepackage[english,french]{babel}
>>
>> \usepackage[round]{natbib}
>>  \bibliographystyle{plainnat}
>>

>> \title{Bib problem}
>> \author{Denis Chabot}
>> \date{} % delete this line to display the current date
>>
>> %%% BEGIN DOCUMENT
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> \maketitle
>> \tableofcontents
>>
>> \selectlanguage{english}
>> %\selectlanguage{french}
>>
>> \section{Introduction}
>> En novembre 2004, un groupe d'experts du Ministère des Pêches et des Océans du Canada (MPO) a travaillé à établir des critères permettant d'identifier des \og{} Zones d'Importance Écologique et Biologique \fg{} (ZIEB) dans les eaux territoriales canadiennes \citep{MPO:2004kx}. Le présent document fait partie d'une série de rapports découlant de cette initiative. Ils décrivent les caractéristiques physiques, océanographiques et biologiques de l'ensemble de l'estuaire maritime et du golfe du Saint-Laurent (EMGSL) en rassemblant l'information scientifique disponible au MPO et dans la littérature afin d'identifier des zones d'importance particulière pour chacune des composantes étudiées. Il est prévu de combiner les ZIEB potentielles pour toutes les composantes et d'en faire une évaluation plus approfondie afin d'arriver à l'identification de ZIEB pour l'EMGSL.
>>

>> \bibliography{test.bib}
>>
>> \end{document}
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>> And this should be saved as "test.bib"
>> %% This BibTeX bibliography file was created using BibDesk.
>> %% http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/
>>

>> %% Created for Denis Chabot at 2010-09-29 12:14:53 -0400
>>

>> %% Saved with string encoding Unicode (UTF-8)
>>
>> @article{MPO:2004kx,
>> 	Author = {{MPO}},
>> 	Date-Added = {2007-01-28 08:32:02 -0500},
>> 	Date-Modified = {2010-09-29 11:01:50 -0400},
>> 	Journal = {Secr{\'e}tariat canadien de consultation scientifique du MPO, Rapport sur l'{\'e}tat des {\'e}cosyst{\`e}mes},
>> 	Title = {Identification des zones d'importance {\'e}cologique et biologique},
>> 	Volume = {2004/006},
>> 	Year = {2004}}
>>

> Bonjour Denis,
>
> I think you have the package French from Bernard Gaulle installed (because you use french and not frenchb). So It is highly recommended to load the package Babel with French option at the end of the preamble because it uses names variables which can conflict with the package French ones.
> I did it and there are no more errors.
> For people from the list who are interested in the French typography, please note that after the death of Bernard Gaulle, his package has been updated and is now free. You can go to this page : http://www.efrench.org/ and download it.

I probably have the package French, if it came with TexLive. But I did not call it with a \usepackage, so I thought it did not intervene. I saw a mention of frenchb in the babel pdf manual, but not enough to understand if the language options used when calling babel should use french, frenchb or francais. I seem to have the same result with all 3.

But your solution of loading babel later did work:

this failed:
\usepackage[english,frenchb]{babel}
\usepackage[round]{natbib}
  \bibliographystyle{plainnat}

This succeeded:

\usepackage[round]{natbib}
  \bibliographystyle{plainnat}
\usepackage[english,frenchb]{babel}

Denis
p.s. since yesterday I installed TeXLive 2010 but it did not seem to influence this behavior.