[OS X TeX] Re: TeX and 10.6.7

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 11 19:41:01 EDT 2011

On Apr 11, 2011, at 3:12 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Apple did something in 10.6.7 with the typesetting system that has many people up in arms with printing, etc., problems. It definitely has nothing to do with TeXshop since that is just a front end for your TeX distribution. Which version of MacTeX/TeX Live is installed on your system? There shouldn't be any problems with the CM fonts.
>
> By the way, I rarely use the CM fonts any more. More typical is the fourier package (which uses Utopia for the serif font and has full maths support) along with scaled Bera Sans and Bera Mono fonts. I use

Though it appears that OpenType fonts are the most affected by the bug(s), PostScript fonts are not immune. The typical problem is that after generating a pdf in TeXShop (or other means), the file may either (a) not print correctly, with an error message about an unknown font; (b) not open correctly in Adobe applications, same general error. Sometimes, a bad document will be seen as bad on other machines, including PCs. Other times, a pdf that fails on one machine works correctly on another also running 10.6.7.

I just spent some time trying, without success, to diagnose a pdf produced using fourier, where the originator got error messages about the math italic font in fourier (Fourier-Math-Symbols, fourier-ms.pfb), but displayed and printed  without problems for me (using 10.6.7.) When I compiled the exact same source file, there was no problem at all.

Michael