[OS X TeX] Question from Peter Dyballa

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Aug 7 08:38:17 EDT 2011

Am 06.08.2011 um 23:52 schrieb Richard Koch:

> If I remember correctly, XCode on Snow Leopard came with SDK's
> for 10.5 and 10.6, but 10.4 was an optional install in the install package.
>
> I'm talking about XCode 3.**, rather than XCode 4.**.

Yeah, I'm a *late* adopter of Snow Leopard (and also will be of Lion), because my fine PowerPC based hardware still works fine (though the OS slowed down). But now I'm so modern that the Apple software isn't supporting my "Sandy Bridge" intel processor hardware (stopping compilations, not booting Leopard as a virtual instance in Snow Leopard).

I downloaded and installed Xcode 3.2.6, probably on top of Xcode 4.0.2. This doesn't hurt yet, because the intel hardware is still a test and experimental platform for me ('til Christmas or such). What I needed is GCC 4.0 in order to be able to use the Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Universal Binary SDK. Still I have no crt0.o file to build static binaries! I have to get the http://www.opensource.apple.com/tarballs/Csu/Csu-71.tar.gz archive from Darwin and build it with 'make RC_ARCHS="ppc ppc64 i386 x86_64"' – and then install the built crt0.o (and crt1.o) file(s) in /usr/lib with elevated privileges presumingly? (The original file supports only x86_64, i386, ppc, the new one also ppc64.) The cleft between Mac OS X users and developers is made wider, obviously...

> PS: This was a personal message and I tried to reply in person, but got this mailer error:
>
>  ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE>
>   (reason: 550-inconsistent or no DNS PTR record for 2001:468:d01:8e:224:e8ff:fe51:5a8e)

This is a complaint from my eMail services provider about your mail server, not necessarily your MUA, i.e. Mail.app. Reason can be that Freenet is a bit too well-known as an eMail spamming host (so that eMails I send are returned immediately and you can find in eMail many archives eMails sent via Freenet and rejected by the receiving host), so it has been configured to accept only incoming eMail from reliable hosts. And this reliability starts with correct DND records. The end of your citation shows that it's only IPv6 related. I don't know what to recommend here. It's puzzling since I can receive your messages in another Mac TeX related list.

Is this the look of skirmish against spam? A bit different than that of war in Iraq and Afghanistan...

--
Greetings

  Pete

"By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family. Prepare to die!"