[OS X TeX] TeXshop and Lion

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 30 07:13:32 EDT 2011

On 30-08-2011, at 09:30, Ulrich Groh wrote:

> Am 28.08.2011 um 21:00 schrieb macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu:
>
>>> Question to the behavior of texshop under Lion: I have my texshop pinned to desktop 4 and I have texshop running. If I am now in desktop 6 for example and if I click on the texshop-symbol in my dock, then it will not switch to the open texshop but a new texshop will open in desktop 6. Is this a failure? Because under OS X 10.6 I was always back to the already open texshop.
>>>
>>> But more strange is the following: sometimes it will switch back to desktop 4 but then I have two times the same file, e.g. if I have open a file named foo.tex, then suddenly I have two files with the same name open. If I am not aware of this an if I compile the new open foo.tex file, the I will be asked to tell the program the location of this file.
>>>
>>> Have I tell the operating system something?
>>
>> Yes.
>> Go to System Preferences, Mission Control.
>> Check "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application".
>>
>> Berend
>
> Berend, I did it and the behavior is as it should work. But then I went to BibDesk and opened there a reference. Then I clicked on TeXshop. But in this case I was not back to the already open TeXshop but a new one opened (in the same window where BibDesk was running which is different from the one for TeXshop). I closed this TeXshop and clicked once again on the symbol in the dock. In that case I was switched back to the original TeXshop and to my file open there.

I have tried to reproduce this. With no luck.
What I gave seen is that if TeXShop is open in Space 3 with NO FILE (and assigned to Space 3)
and then if you open Bibdesk in Space 2 and then click on the TeXShop icon in the Dock, TexShop appears to be open in Space 2.

Very confusing.

> But now the behavior was a little funny: If I am now in Safari (e.g. at Wikipedia) and if I now try to go back to the open TeXshop, then the same happens as with BibDesk.
>
> If I now enter system preferences > mission control and check the "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application" (off/then on), then thereafter everything is fine.
>
> Is this an operating system problem or application system problem?

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a "bug" or "issue" with Mission Control.

The best you can do is to (re)start  your computer and then try to reproduce the behaviour you described while writing down exactly what you were doing.
Then give feedback on page describing the steps you took:  http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html
I can't think of anything better.

Berend