[OS X TeX] Re: Looking for CJK font character 当

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Thu Dec 1 09:56:41 EST 2011

On Nov 30, 2011, at 12:00 PM, <macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu> <macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE>
>
> Am 30.11.2011 um 05:53 schrieb John B.Thoo:
>
>> I cannot find this character 当 in the CJK character code table
>
> It's, for example, contained in the Hiragino fonts in Mac OS X.

Thanks, Pete.  How would I include that in a LaTeX doc?  Is there a ref or URL I can look up?

> From: Danyll Wills <dwills at netvigator.com>
>
> The reason you cannot find 当 in the chart is because it is a Simplified character, not a Traditional one (which is what Big 5 is). The Traditional version is 當.

Thanks, Danyll.  That's interesting because the example cited in Wikipedia claims it's script found on an artifact from the Han Dynasty, which surely could not have used a simplified character.  I wonder how I may find a picture of the actual artifact to see for myself.

> Some fonts support both and Unicode certainly does. Why would you be using Big 5 today? Unicode would be a far better solution.

I'm using Big 5 because that's what I came across when I looked to find how to include a little Chinese script in my doc.  I would be happy to use Unicode if that would be a far better solution.  Can you provide a URL to a link that would (gently) help me learn how to use Unicode for this?

Thanks again to you both.

---John.
(I receive the digest)