[OS X TeX] Increasing font size in math mode

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 14 20:19:28 EST 2011

On Dec 14, 2011, at 4:10 PM, R Martinez wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Below is a test file that describes the problem, which is as follows. I want to use the Zapf Chancery font to display the letter A in math mode. To do so, I use the command \DeclareMathAlphabet{\zcit}{T1}{pzc}{m}{it}. This produces the desired A, but the symbol is too small and I would like to increase its size to match that of the symbol obtained with \mathcal(A).
>
> I have spent a fair amount of time scouring documents, books, the web, to no avail. Asking the list is my last resort.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Happy holidays,
>
> Raul Martinez

Use it via the mathalfa package, which allows a simple mode of scaling.

\usepackage[mathcal=zapfc,scaled=1.15]{mathalfa}

The effect is to set mathcal to the urw clone of zapf chancery, scaled up by 15%. This bypasses a problem that can occur with pzc when used in latex+dvips+ps2pdf mode, and download base 35 was not set to True. In this case, pzc renders from the faulty font distributed by Artifex in the gs distribution. (It is supposed to be fixed in gs 9.05.)

In my opinion, there are better options for math script---see the mathalfa documentation.

Michael