[OS X TeX] Uninstalling an earlier installation

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 16 12:09:38 EST 2011

I'm new to TeX/LaTeX. Installed the 2010 MacTeX/TeXLive distribution when it was current, but didn't do much with it. I'm back at it, trying to learn to create the kinds of documents I need with LyX. A couple weeks ago I upgraded to the 2011 distribution. Inquiring as to whether I should get rid of the earlier version and if so how, I was referred to the MacTex page on uninstalling.

Pretty simple and straightforward: Just delete /usr/local/texlive/2010. However, it says the texmf-local folder should be retained. If that was in /usr/local/texlive/2010 it's gone and it's not in the 2011 tree. Could it be somewhere else?

Most likely if I have it it's empty. I've added nothing to the distribution since installing it. Should I create it? If so, where?

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
eeweir at bellsouth.net

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone,
men would die from a great loneliness of spirit."

- Chief Seattle

MIght