[OS X TeX] Auto correction in TeXShop?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 22 10:33:57 EST 2011

On Dec 22, 2011, at 9:10 AM, RA Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> Morning.
>
> Can I define some auto correction routines in TeXShop? Let's say, I want to type »FV«, and TeXShop should write into the source file »Friedrich Vosberg«.
>
> (How) can I achieve such automagic text correction?
>
> Kind regards, Friedrich

Howdy,

Two ways...

You can use TeXShop's Command Completion to (almost) do that. On a new line in any document open in TeXShop put

FV:=Friedrich Vosberg

(with a REturn at the end). Then select that line and run Source->Command Completion->Add Word (Shift-Cmd-W); this adds that line to your CommandCompletion.txt file and makes it available via Command Completion. You can then remove the line. From then on typing FV (with a space before it or other left delimiter) and Esc (or Tab is you've changed the Command Completion Trigger) and it will be replaced by Friedrich Vosberg.

You can (try) to use Apple's Auto-Symbol and Text Substitutions. You'll have to add the FV shortcut to the list in System Preferences->Language & Text->Text and turn it on in TeXShop's Edit->Substitutions->Text Replacement.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)