[OS X TeX] Pesky TeXShop warnings

Michael Welsh yomcat at yomcat.geek.nz
Thu Feb 3 00:34:39 EST 2011

On 3/02/2011, at 6:15 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Working on a LaTeX {book} document which is about 120 pages in length at this point. Everything is working beautifully, but ....
>
> After each TYPESET the console window reveals somewhere of the order of 131 complaints or warnings or whatever they should be called. Not sure about the number 131, but I see these [1], [2], [3], ... , [130], [131] creatures scattered throughout the console window.
Those numbers are page break markers.

> I decided to check out some of these complaints, so put the [draft] option in the \documentclass line and looked for those vertical bars that apparently correspond to 'Overfull' line --- or is it overfull paragraphs? There were hardly any! And some seem unreasonable (to me).
>
> For example, following a \chapter{...} command there sits
>
> \rule{\textwidth}{4pt}
> \rule{\textwidth}{2pt}
>
> and TeXShop places a vertical bar to the right of the second rule and complains (not including the ---------- guys):
>
> ----------
> Overfull \hbox (30.0pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 17--19
> [] |
> ----------
>
> Huh!? The actual source code is:
>
> 16  \chapter[Theorems and Proofs]{\centering Theorems and Proofs}
> 17  \rule{\textwidth}{4pt}
> 18  \rule{\textwidth}{2pt}
> 19  \par
>
> Double Huh!?
No idea what's going on here, but somehow there's 30pt of nothing sticking out to the side.

> Most of the complaints are "Overfull \hbox ..." or "Underfull \hbox ..." and I've pretty much given up on the 'Underfull' complaints because when looking at the source code, I can see no reasons for the claim.
They're normally formed with hard enters (//). They can be safely ignored generally, as stuff is under the margins, not over it. You could replace // with \hspace*{\fill}{\quad} (I think that works - I'm not that far into my thesis yet)
> I try to pay more attention to the 'Overfull' guys. Here is one that is beyond my ken:
>
> The complaint --- maybe 'advice' is a better term  ;-) --- is (not including the ---------- guys)
>
> ----------
> Overfull \hbox (1.03319pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 1282--1283
> []\T1/lmr/m/n/10.95 To com-plete the ta-ble above, three more re-duc-tions are
> nec-es-sary. Next, we might note |
> ----------
>
> and sure enough the line is marked with a fat vertical bar. Yet on viewing the line in the PDF window, the text
>
> ----------
> To com-plete the ta-ble above, three more re-duc-tions are nec-es-sary. Next, we might note
>
> obviously fits within the left and right margins!
It doesn't. It's 1.03319pt too wide. Which is almost nothing.
> The source lines in question are
>
> 1281  \par
> 1282  To complete the table above, three more reductions are necessary. Next, we might note
> 1283  \par
>
> After this exercise, I've concluded that I should knot my knickers less tightly and be happy that TYPESET produces a PDF file that looks as I desire.
That's good advice. Personally, I like to get rid of all such errors but I'm picky. :)

http://yomcat.geek.nz