[OS X TeX] sync

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Feb 4 13:53:15 EST 2011

On Feb 4, 2011, at 11:52 AM, Ulrich Groh wrote:

> I know, this question has been asked several times, but it is not working as described.
>
> Problem: master-file: master.tex, source-file: foo.tex with
>
> % !TEX root = master.tex
>
> at the begin of the foo.tex file
> (also done this using the sidebar; I have a german system, therefore I don't know the exact english name).
>
> compiling foo.tex -> working
> compiling master.tex -> working
>
> Editing foo.tex and work with the apple-key/mouse -> the first time I will get the location in the pdf-file as described.
> Do this a second time: no reaction (right mouse click + sync : no reaction)
>
> Editing master.pdf with apple-key and mouse: no reaction.
>
> In the case I produce an error (e.g. setting \textbff instead of \textbf) and compile foo.tex, the the compiling process stops (as expected). But when I now try to go to th error location (mouse click on the ^(apple key)E in the console display), I will end in the master.tex file somewhere (by the way: How to enter the ^(Apple-key)E with the keyboard; german one?).
>
> Some help available? Soprry, if this has been answered already. But I looked into the archive ...
>
> Ulrich

Howdy,

The sync between Source(tex) and Preview(pdf) is done with a Cmd-Click. Don't know if that is your problem.

For the ``Go to Error'' problem please check your TeXShop->Preferences->Engine->pdfTeX->Latex and make sure the --file-line-error option is there:

pdflatex --shell-escape --synctex=1 --file-line-error

which allows TeXShop to figure out which file to go to when using pdflatex. That some option should appear in the TeX option of pdfTeX. Finally, you TeX+dvips+distiller options should be something like

simpdftex etex --maxpfb --extratexopts "-synctex=1 -shell-escape-file -line-error"

and

simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extratexopts "-synctex=1 -shell-escape -file-line-error"

for the Tex and Latex options.

If you've used an earlier version of TeXShop those options may not have been set and the new version of TeXShop will not overwrite the older preferences since you may have customized them.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)