[OS X TeX] My Soap Box

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Fri Feb 11 00:10:17 EST 2011

Gary,

On Feb 10, 2011, at 7:21 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> With that said, I will change the wording on the List Reminders and Etiquette page to reflect Dick's input. I will change the first item to:
>
> Please do not start a new thread by replying to a message from another thread. Even if you change the subject, most email clients will mark your message as belonging to the original thread, which will mean that it may not be seen by your intended audience. You must write use the "New Message" command to start a new thread (in Apple Mail, that can be found under File > New Message or by typing command-N).

Thanks a lot. That wording is much, much better than my attempt. I think it will help a lot.
Incidentally, I agree that it is important to -- gently -- train folks about how mail works.

> I can also put a header on every message that specifically states that a new thread should not be started by replying to an existing thread, but this may make people crazy. What do you think -- should I add this info to the top of each message?

Perhaps overkill. I suggest you first just try the reworded etiquette page and see if it helps.

Thanks for he quick response.

Dick