[OS X TeX] Which OS X fonts with matching math fonts?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 24 11:53:22 EST 2011

On Feb 22, 2011, at 3:44 AM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mac OS X comes with quite a lot of very nice fonts, and it's easy to use them
> from LaTeX with XeLaTeX. Not using a Mac myself, I'm not very familiar with
> those fonts, in particular I don't which of them blend well with one the math
> fonts provided with TeX Live.
>
> I'd like to give recommend to a LaTeX beginner who is currently using Times
> (from OpenOffice) something that looks better and is just as easy to use for
> documents containing a lot of (not-so-complicated) math.

I updated my mathsamples document recently. Among other things it provides a number of one page samples of Hoefler Text with various math packages, both free and otherwise. IMO, Hoefler Text is very sharp looking, with many great features, but the fact that the only bold provided is a Black weight makes for a disconcerting contrast on the page. It combines quite well with the (free) Mathtime Pro 2 Lite math fonts from pctex, as long as you don't use bold greek letters, which have to be simulated.

http://math.ucsd.edu/~msharpe/mathsamples.pdf

Michael