[OS X TeX] Configuring LaTeX produced PDF's for a Kindle

Claus Gerhardt claus.gerhardt at uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 4 16:45:27 EST 2011

Using the iBooks application one can read pdf documents (books, papers) on an iPad very comfortably provided the documents are formatted appropriately.

In case of a pdflatex produced document one has to add the following paper option to the .cls file

  \DeclareOption{paperipad}{\paperheight 196mm\paperwidth 150mm
\textheight 160mm}

(the example uses the terminology of amsart.cls)

and in the preamble one has to add the definition

\usepackage{calc}

\newlength{\oddsidemarginlength}
\newlength{\topmarginlength}

\hoffset=0pt
\voffset=0pt

 \textwidth = 11.7cm%your choice (any dimension is allowed)
\setlength{\textheight}{16cm -\topskip}

\newcounter{numberoflines}
\newcounter{tempcc}
\setcounter{numberoflines}{\textheight}
\setcounter{tempcc}{\baselineskip}
\setcounter{numberoflines}{\value{numberoflines}/\value{tempcc}}
\setlength{\textheight}{\baselineskip*\value{numberoflines}+\topskip}

\setlength{\oddsidemarginlength}{(\paperwidth-\textwidth)/2-1in}
\setlength{\topmarginlength}{(\paperheight-\textheight)/2-1in}

\oddsidemargin=\oddsidemarginlength
\evensidemargin=\oddsidemargin
\topmargin=\topmarginlength
\headsep=20pt

Those interested in viewing an example should have a look at

http://idisk.me.com/gerhardt-Public/preprints/qfriedman-ym3-ipad.pdf

Claus