[OS X TeX] Syncing in one direction only

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 6 20:21:59 EST 2011

On Jan 6, 2011, at 5:52 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:
>
>> No, I did not so understand. On the other hand, I had no intention of modifying <texmf.cnf> until I knew more about the situation. I have to find that message from Bruno Voisin that Alain Schremmer referred to.
>

> Look at the thread  Error: I can't write on file '(name)'
>
> March 22, 2007
>
> Here is, I think, what Voisin said to do and what I did.
> Regards
> --schremmer
>

> Le 22 mars 07 à 12:45, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> Find the line
>>
>>    openout_any = p
>>
>> in there; change to
>>
>>    openout_any = r
>>
>> and I think you'll be OK. ("a" would be even more permissive than "r", but I don't think you need that.)
>
> Thanks for this tip, that's helpful. I knew about the -R option (= secure mode) of dvips, and about the -shell-escape and -no-shell-escape options of pdftex, but I didn't suspect there was this switch in addition for pdftex in texmf.cnf.
>
> Regarding texmf.cnf, the gwTeX and MacTeX/TeXLive setups are a bit different. With MacTeX/TeXLive, there is one single texmf.cnf at:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> which is the file to edit. With gwTeX, there are two different texmf.cnf at:

That's just plain wrong! There are two texmf.cnf files. The base file, with the initial settings and most of the information one needs, is in /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/web2c while the one to edit is in /usr/local/texlive/2010.

> Hence, for MacTeX/TeXLive simply *edit* the unique /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf as said above, while for gwTeX you need to *add*:
>
>    openout_any = r
>
> to /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf.

No, no no! Edit the one in /usr/local/texlive/2010 if you want to make changes. Add the changed lines and they will override the ones in the base file.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)