[OS X TeX] personnal packages : thanks

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 7 07:50:12 EST 2011

On Jan 7, 2011, at 3:11 AM, Karine Fourlon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for replying so late but I really haven't had time before.
>
> It works ! After creating the /texmf/tex/latex.
>
> BUT : only the .sty files works, my old files are .cls (answer : file sty not found). What is the difference between .sty and .cls ? Can I get the .cls to work ?
>
> Thank you again.
>
> Karine

Howdy,

Document class files (.cls extension) are used in the \documentclass command and are designed give the overall design of the document. Package, or style, files (.sty extension) are used to modify or add features to the basic design used by the document class and are included using the \usepackage command.

You should have the .cls files in the same place as the .sty file (sounds like that is what you have done) but they are used by different commands.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)